Trump and Johnson discuss Huawei as sources warn situation could imperil trade deal

Written by Anahita Hossein-Pour and Sam Trendall on 27 January 2020 in News
News

Pressure grows for UK to follow US and Australian lead and ban Chinese vendor from mobile network

Credit: PA

Donald Trump’s appetite for a post-Brexit trade deal with the UK “could be diminished” if Boris Johnson hands Huawei a contract to help build its 5G network.

Ministers are expected to confirm next week that the Chinese technology will be given the go-ahead to carry out the work.

The American president has repeatedly warned the prime minister not to go with Huawei, with US officials saying last week it "would be madness" to do so while security fears about the company persist.

No.10 announced over the weekend that Johnson and Trump spoke on the phone on Friday.

“They discussed a range of issues, including cooperation to ensure the security of our telecommunications networks,” according to Downing Street.

The prime minister is also under pressure from other western allies, including Australia, which has joined the US in banning Huawei from its own 5G network.


Related content​


But a senior government official said Huawei has already been working within the British communications architecture for 15 years, and any risk would be managed by the National Security Council.

In response, a senior US official told the Wall Street Journal: “The appetite for a US-UK trade agreement could be diminished by the UK making the wrong decision on Huawei.”

US Treasury Secretary Stephen Mnuchin revealed at the World Economic Forum that he will meet with chancellor Sajid Javid ahead of the decision to discuss his administration’s “significant concerns” about the deal.

Andrew Hastie, chair of the Australian parliament's joint intelligence and security committee, told The Times: “We stand together. 5G is part of the network that will bind us. I’m hopeful the UK makes the same decision as the US and Australia. The last thing we need is cleavage in the relationship.”

But Huawei’s vice-president Victor Zhang said: “Huawei has worked with the UK’s telecoms companies for 15 years and looks forward to supplying the best technologies that help companies like BT and Vodafone fulfil the Government’s commitment to make gigabit broadband available to all.”

The row comes as the UK also prepares to defy US pressure by slapping a digital tax on the likes of Google and Facebook.

 

About the author

Anahita Hossein-Pour is a reporter for PublicTechnology sister publication PoliticsHome, where a version of this story first appeared. She tweets as @anahitahpour.

Share this page

Tags

Categories

CONTRIBUTIONS FROM READERS

Please login to post a comment or register for a free account.

Related Articles

National Situation Centre taps mobile network data for ‘insights on behaviours of millions of people’
2 November 2022

Cabinet Office-based facility signs £800k deal with mobile network operator

Foreign Office signs £7.5m two-year deal to support cyber transformation
12 October 2022

Department signs deal with defence contractor

Home Office unveils £55m data deal to ‘transform casework’ and support controversial watchlist
5 December 2022

Department publishes details of three-year contract

EXCL: Government red team security unit to test departmental defences with hostile reconnaissance
2 December 2022

Specialist supplier will support in searching – and then attempting to take advantage of – ‘vulnerabilities and exploitable information’