Review into London Ambulance Service New Year outage reveals ‘significant shortcomings in IT processes’

Written by Sam Trendall on 27 June 2017 in News

Outage in early hours of 2017 saw call-handling and dispatch system fall over

The London Ambulance Service claims the fault that caused the outage 'cannot now happen again' Credit: PA

A review into the causes of a system outage that took place in the early hours of New Year’s Day has shone a light on “significant shortcomings in [the] IT processes and governance” of the London Ambulance Service.

But, in a statement, service chief executive Garrett Emmerson also asserted that appropriate remedial actions have already been taken, and that the system for handling 999 calls is “fit for purpose”.

“The system fault that occurred on New Year’s Day has been fixed and cannot now happen again,” he added. “However, I would like to apologise to patients who had to wait longer than they otherwise would have for medical help on that morning, and pay tribute to our staff who responded incredibly well, ensuring patients continued to receive care during our busiest time of the year.”

Related content

The outage, which affected the service’s call-taking and dispatch system, began 30 minutes into the new year. It was reportedly caused by “a historic upgrade” that led to the recycle bin of the system’s database failing to empty when it became full. According to the review – the key findings of which have been published in a report – this caused the system to slow down to the point where it became unusable. 

At this point, those answering calls began simply recording information on paper and passing details to ambulance crews via a radio system. The outage lasted 90 minutes, but the need to transfer paper records to the computer system meant that normal service was not resumed until 5.15am – some four hours and 45 minutes after the system initially stopped working.

Having to use manual methods during this time resulted in longer waiting times for many patients. This included one patient who waited for a total of 48 minutes for treatment. By the time crews arrived, the patient had died.

Today’s release from the London Ambulance Service stressed that, until a coroner determines the cause of death, “it is difficult to determine what effect the delayed response had on the patient’s outcome”. Nevertheless, the service has met with the family of the patient to share and discuss the findings of its investigation thus far.

Anne Rainsberry, NHS England’s regional director for London, said: “We are satisfied with the immediate actions that the London Ambulance Service took to rectify the cause of the outage, as well as the organisation’s assessment of the impact that this had on patients. The service has made substantial progress against the investigation’s recommendations and over coming months we will seek assurance that the outstanding recommendations have been actioned.”

The outage could hardly have been worse timed, coming as it did during what is typically an incredibly busy period for the emergency services. And this New Year saw an even higher volume of calls than the previous year, with 2,810 received by the London Ambulance Service during the early hours of 2017. This compares with 2,517 in the corresponding period in 2016 – equating to an increase of 8.6%.

About the author

Sam Trendall is editor of PublicTechnology


Share this page




Please login to post a comment or register for a free account.

Related Articles

NHS app to widen users’ access to health records
13 June 2022

Strategy makes commitment to allow patients to view a greater range of information

Cabinet Office considers options for talented interns after suspension of government graduate scheme
9 August 2022

Central department says it 'remains committed to internship programmes' and seek to find possibilities for those who would normally be fast-tracked into paused Fast Stream scheme

Trade department sees rise in fraud and data breaches in FY22
4 August 2022

DIT claims the use of digital tools has helped with detecting fraudsters 

Parliament shuts down TikTok account after MPs raise concerns app is ‘Chinese government spyware’
4 August 2022

Campaign led by Wealden MP results in closure of account with video-sharing platform

Related Sponsored Articles

Fuelling the UK’s digital economy
12 July 2022

Ed Stainton, Director of Major Government at BT, on accelerating initiatives to drive growth through responsible, inclusive, and sustainable technology