GOV.UK crash ‘not malicious attack’ says Cabinet Office

Written by Rebecca Hill on 27 October 2016 in News
News

The government’s GOV.UK website was unavailable to citizens on Wednesday afternoon due to a technical error, the Cabinet Office has said.

The Government Digital Service team has now fixed the problem that brought GOV.UK down - Photo credit: Flickr, marie-lyse briffard, CC BY-SA 2.0

GOV.UK, the Government Digital Service’s flagship project, was out for almost half an hour, leaving its websites and many of its online services unavailable to users.

A Cabinet Office spokeswoman said: "A technical error resulted in GOV.UK going down for 25 minutes this afternoon. This was not caused by a malicious attack and has now been resolved."


Related content

Cabinet Office 'urgently considering options' after EU referendum website crash
Fraudulent signatures discovered in EU referendum petition
Earning public trust in the age of cyber threats


The news follows a similar event last week, with tweets from the GOV.UK account indicating that the fault lasted longer. An initial message acknowledging the issue came at 6.20pm, while a second saying that GOV.UK was back online did not come until 9.13pm.

Reports suggest that yesterday’s fault was due to a domain name error during an update of the domain name security settings on GOV.UK by technicians.

No further information on the cause of the problem was given by the Cabinet Office.

Share this page

Tags

CONTRIBUTIONS FROM READERS

Please login to post a comment or register for a free account.

Related Articles

Related Sponsored Articles

The public sector’s path to becoming Consciously Hybrid
29 September 2021

Experts from HPE outline why effective digital transformation requires a ‘Consciously Hybrid’ approach to cloud - and how best to achieve this